Home for the Holidays is an incredible outreach opportunity where families from Destiny to connect with a refugee family through Oasis International and bring them into their home for a traditional holiday meal. Last year proved to have lasting impact on all those who participated and we are excited to do it again this holiday season!
Many refugee families have been coming to Saint Louis from war-torn countries and Oasis International has been helping them transition to a new culture, city, language, and home. A major part of Destiny Church is reflecting God's heart for the refugee, widow, and foreigner. What better way to love than to give the gift of friendship and American hospitality!?
Here's how it works:
- The weekends of October 1/2, 8/9, and 15/16 you can be matched with a refugee family at the table in our main hallway after the weekend service. A background check will be requested from each Head of Household. As a host you will be asked to provide transportation for the family (most live in South City) as well as a traditional holiday home cooked meal. You are more than welcome to co-host with other Destiny families to help split the responsibility if you would like!
- Mark & Joani Akers, Directors of Oasis International, will provide a Cultural Orientation class on Sunday, October 16th from 9-10am in Room 1 on the fourth floor. He will share practical tips and suggestions to help with cross-cultural communication and preparation for hosting a family. If you did not host a family last year we ask that you attend this class.
- Once you have been paired with a family you will receive their contact information. Call and schedule a date and time anytime in the month of November when they can come to your home. We recommend early dinners or afternoon brunches, but you are welcome to schedule this at a mutually convenient time.
- The week of your scheduled meal send them the provided postcard as a friendly reminder. Then follow-up with a phone call the day before they are scheduled to come over to confirm.
- We would love hear how your meal went! Share a testimony HERE once you had a refugee family HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.