Home for the Holidays is an incredible outreach opportunity where families from Destiny connect with a refugee family through Oasis International and build friendship with one another over a meal. Last year proved to have lasting impact on all those who participated and we are excited to do it again this holiday season!
Many refugee families have been coming to Saint Louis from war-torn countries and Oasis International has been helping them transition to a new culture, city, language, and home. A major part of Destiny Church is reflecting God's heart for the refugee, widow, and foreigner. What better way to love than to give the gift of friendship and American hospitality!?
Here's how it works:
- The weekends of October 15, 22, and 29th you can be paired with a refugee family at the table in our main hallway after the weekend service. A background check will be requested from each Head of Household. You are more than welcome to co-host with other Destiny families to help split the responsibility if you would like!
- Mark & Joani Akers, Directors of Oasis International, will provide a Cultural Orientation class on Sunday, November 5th from 8:45-9:45am in Room 1 on the fourth floor. They will share practical tips and suggestions to help with cross-cultural communication and preparation for hosting a family. If you have not hosted a family in past years we ask that you attend this class.
- Once you have been paired with a family you will receive their contact information. Call and schedule a date and time anytime in the month of November to meet with them. We recommend early dinners or afternoon brunches, but you are welcome to schedule this at a mutually convenient time.
- The week of your scheduled meal send them the provided postcard as a friendly reminder. Then follow-up with a phone call the day before they are scheduled to come over to confirm.
- We would love hear how your meal went! Share a testimony HERE once you had a refugee family HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.